I've been craving a lot of Asian flavors this pregnancy... maybe it's the spicy kick or the mix of garlic and ginger that I'm craving, but I've been eating everything from miso soup to curry noodles! In those first few weeks of pregnancy, especially when I was too nauseous to cook, I ate a lot of takeout.
However, when my nausea lifted and I was able to cook again, I started cooking my own Asian-inspired meals because I could ensure exactly what I was putting into it, and I could use whole grain so I would cook with either brown rice or brown rice noodles.
Here's one of my favorite stir-fry dishes that's so easy to make, it'll take less that 15 minutes. And the best news is that you can choose what veggies and protein you'd like to use. In this case, I've added a 2-egg omlette but you can add grilled chicken or shrimp if you prefer.
What you need
· Brown rice spaghetti
· 2 eggs
· 1 head of broccoli, chopped into florets (about 2 cups)
· 1 cup of baby bella or white mushrooms, sliced
· 1 carrot, julienned (about 1 cup)
· 1 clove of garlic
· 1 tbsp tamari
· 1 tbsp sesame oil
· 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
· 2 tbsp olive or coconut oil
What to do
1. Boil brown rice spaghetti according to instructions. Drain and set aside once noodles are cooked.
2. Finely chop the garlic and veggies. Whisk 2 eggs in a bowl and set aside.
3. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1 tbsp of oil and garlic. Stir garlic for 1 minute, making sure it doesn’t burn.
4. Add broccoli florets, mushrooms and carrots. Stir for 3-5 minutes until veggies are cooked through. Reduce to lowest heat.
5. Heat a small frypan over medium heat. Once hot, add 1 tbsp of oil and add eggs. Let the eggs set in one thin layer across the pan. Flip the omelet once cooked through (and you can see bubbles surfacing). Cook the other side of the omelet until it is lightly browned. Once finished, slide the omelet onto a plate and cut into slices.
6. Add omelet slices to the veggie stir-fry along with the brown rice noodles. Sprinkle in salt and pepper, 1 tbsp tamari and 1 tbsp sesame oil. Mix thoroughly.
7. Transfer to plate and sprinkle black sesame seeds as desired.