There weren’t too many foods I could eat during the weeks I had extreme morning sickness. Thankfully, avocado toast was still something I could stomach and on the days that I felt like a “nutritional boost”, I would make this smashed avocado and chickpea sandwich. Chickpeas (otherwise known as garbanzo beans), are one of the richest sources of folate and Vitamin B6, which are two essential vitamins for healthy fetal development, especially in the first trimester.
To sum it up, this sandwich is super easy to make, requires little prep time, is nutritionally dense and most importantly, is gentle on the stomach.
What you need
· whole-wheat bread
· 1 ripe avocado
· 1 can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
· 1 tbsp lemon juice
· 2 tsp garlic powder
· sea salt + pepper
· baby spinach (optional)
· chili flakes (optional)
What to do
1. Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add the chickpeas and contents of the avocado.
3. With a fork or potato masher, mash the chickpeas and avocado until your desired consistency.
4. Sprinkle the lemon juice, garlic powder, sea salt, pepper and chili flakes if you want an extra “kick”. Mix until even.
5. Toast your bread. Spread the avocado and chickpea mixture for toast, or add another slice to make a sandwich. If you can stomach it, add some baby spinach. Enjoy!