These raw cacao truffles are naturally sweet and fudge-like, making them a perfect sweet treat or mid-afternoon pick me up.
The best thing about them is that they’re made from Omega-3-rich walnuts and fiber-packed dates and chia seeds. Walnuts are a pregnancy superfood because they’re packed with plant-based protein and Omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for your baby’s developing brain.
The fiber in the dates and chia seeds are also a pregnant mama’s best friend. Fiber promotes digestive health and helps keep you “regular” during pregnancy.
You can easily make a batch and store the rest in your fridge for up to a week. This recipe makes about 12 small truffles – but you can make more or less, depending on the size you prefer.
What you need
1 1/2 cups raw walnut halves or pieces
1 cup pitted Medjool dates
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
What to do
1. Soak 1 cup of Medjool dates in a bowl of warm water for 1 hour. This will soften the dates and make them easier to blend.
2. Place the walnuts in a food processor, and grind so you have fine walnut flour.
3. Add the dates, cacao powder, chia seeds, coconut oil, vanilla extract and sea salt to the foodprocessor. Process again so you have an even, sticky mixture.
4. Scoop 1 tablespoon of the mixture at a time into your hand and roll into a ball.
5. Roll each cacao truffle onto a plate of cacao power to “dust” it. Feel free to skip this step if you think the extra cacao powder is too bitter.
6. Place the cacao truffles into a container lined with parchment paper. Store them in the fridge for up to a week or enjoy straight away!