Eggs and avocado are one of the most nutrient-dense duos you can find, making avocado and toast with eggs a great go-to for pregnancy and pre-pregnancy meal inspiration.
Eggs are rich in protein and choline, while avocados are a great source of fiber and folate. Paired together with some whole-wheat toast, a sprinkle of sea salt and chili flakes and you have a quick and delicious meal or snack right there.
What makes this so good?
Folate and choline are two essential nutrients for healthy brain development.
A deficiency in folate can lead to brain and spinal cord malformations so make sure you’re eating lots of greens before and during your pregnancy – and take a good quality prenatal supplement with folate in it, just to be sure.
Choline is a lesser-known nutrient that’s recently stepped into the spotlight for healthy brain development. Research has shown that choline boosts brain cell structure and improves brain function in babies and children. Egg yolks are the best-known source of choline.
Protein and fiber are two of mama’s best friends before and during pregnancy. Both protein and fiber help balance blood sugar levels to prevent insulin spikes (too many insulin spikes over a long period of time contributes towards weight gain). Balanced blood sugar levels may also help prevent nausea in those first few weeks of pregnancy.
What you need
whole-wheat (or sprouted whole-wheat) bread
sea salt + pepper
chili flakes (optional)
What to do
1. Fill a saucepan with 16oz of water and bring it to boil.
2. Gently place 2 eggs into the saucepan and set a timer for 7-minutes for hard-boiled eggs (unless you’re not pregnant and you can have soft-boiled).
3. While you’re waiting for the eggs, toast your bread and slice your avocado.
4. Remove the eggs from the pot when they’re ready. Run them under cool water and let them sit for a minute.
5. Smash your avocado onto your slice of toast.
6. Peel your eggs and place them on top of your toast. Sprinkle with sea salt, pepper and chili flakes. Enjoy!